As a member of the Wheeler Island Duck Club from 1957 to 1977, Henry A. Smith knew all too well the problems associated with in-ground, wooden blinds. Made from California redwood, they were cramped, cold and damp.
Smitty set out to construct a better duck blind.
He built a permanent fiberglass, tank-like structure that did not leak. A 360-degree, swivel seat allowed the hunter to see ducks coming from all distances.
The enclosure afforded room to shoot. A heater gave warmth. And convenient shelving for ammo, food, and other supplies made it a luxury in the reeds.
For his ingenuity, Henry Smith received a patent in May 1970 for a “Hunting blind construction and adjustable seat.”